As 2017 comes to a close and we begin to reflect, we come to see how much we have accomplished here at SMADC this year. 2017 was a year of transition and growth for SMADC, and we want to thank all of the farmers, agribusiness, and industry partners that have helped us grow and expand!
- SMADC Appoints New Director, Shelby Watson-Hampton
- Launched a formal application process for scholarships and sponsorships plus four other new grant programs including: The Regional Agriculture Project (RAP), Southern Maryland Agricultural Mini-Grant Program, Southern Maryland Agricultural Equity Incentive Matching Fund, and Southern Maryland Revolving Loan Fund for Agricultural Producers
- 15 Youth Participate in Southern Maryland Meats Junior Promotion
- 81,517 Pounds of Frozen Meat Transported in Freezer Trailers, Total Estimated Retail Value of $473,475.00
- 5 New On-Farm Processor Meat Licenses Facilitated
- 455 Attendees at SMADC’s Buy Local Challenge Celebration Event in July
- New SMADC Marketing and Outreach Efforts including New Logo, Newsletter, T-Shirts, Barn Squeezes, and Insulated Tote Bags
- 739 Acres (5 Farms) Directly Preserved with SMADC Funds (1 Anne Arundel, 1 Charles, and 1 Prince George’s)
- Over 400 New Members Registered on Maryland FarmLINK
- 6 New Farmer Profiles Created and Launched on Tomorrow’s Harvest Website
We are looking forward to a bright and busy 2018, with the continued purpose of supporting farms and the future of agriculture in Southern Maryland. SMADC hopes to provide you and your farming enterprise with the vision, support, research, grants, consumer connections and marketing & promotion that will help our collective agricultural community thrive.
Please feel free to reach out to us at any time with your thoughts, ideas, and concerns; and don’t forget to follow us through our newsletter and on social media.
We look forward to working with you in 2018.